There will be time...

It's been a busy few weeks and I had two new trainees start today. Things are really moving on quickly, meaning I've got to work hard to keep up.

First, there's the training. This is priority number one. I've got three people now relying on me every Thursday to give them training, guidance, feedback, work and support. If I do nothing else I have to make sure I get that right.

Second, there's the business essentials. Make sure there's somewhere to train out of. Make sure the paperwork's filled in. Account for the money spent so far. Try to make sure we've got enough computers, the right software, people to train and work to do.

Third, there's the business development. By which I mean business survival. We need more funding, we need paid work, we need organisations that are willing to pay us to train their beneficiaries. I'm finding it difficult to get the time to sort all this out.

Fourth, there's the professional development. I need to learn from this pilot, develop as a leader, influence others, build contacts and maintain existing relationships.

Finally, there's the people. Now if I'd really done this in priority order I would have to put them first because without them, none of this could happen. There's Angela, Jeevan, Chris and Brij, my trainees, who inspire me to get up every morning and work late into the night. There's Saba, Chris and Martine, Claire and Louise, who are all successful professionals in their own right and have volunteered their time to contribute (or promised to contribute) to the training programme. There's Claire, my development manager at UnLtd, without whom I'd have no money (and probably very little sanity). There's Sophy, Chris, Otu and Paul who are all helping in an advisory capacity with their various areas of expertise. There are my contacts at CDG - Michael, Kemi, Darren, James and Natasha who have all helped me get office space and people to train. There are my colleagues and bosses at work (the paid variety) who have been so supportive of this new venture. Then there are all the people - my flatmates especially - who just support me as a person to get all this done.

I'm afraid this is a really boring blog post - it doesn't think of its audience, it doesn't add anything of wider value, no links, no pictures, no particularly stylish use of language - just about everything I've ever told my trainees not to do. But it's going up for the record as a massive thank you to everyone involved so far.

1 comment:

  1. Quite to the contrary young lady....One is not really part of the blogging fraternity finding them often to be too involved and self indulgent with midless detail and quite self congratulatory to say the least. Reminiscient of children who were always fighting to be heard, gain attention without much effect.

    YOur blog flows, comes across as honest and informative without being convuluted or superfical.

    The what to do is least favoured over the personal insights and experience and what you did, the mistakes you made and what you learnt as a result. Who you're interacting with and why? Because this is from the platform of realisation as opposed to information and opinion often dressed up as fact.

    As you can probably tell from my writing I could do with some of your training-writing for the web and so on....
    Most welcome and appreciated.

    A question I have for you is which CDG? My experience has found all though they mean well not as broad thinking as what has been demonstrated here.
    nayan4@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete